Thursday, April 21, 2011
Another cake from my return customer who always takes me outside my comfort zone. I have done some fairly unusual cakes for her ie. the calculator cake, and this one is no exception. This is an "exact" replica of a tugboat of which her brother-in-law is captain. I was dreading doing it, but once I started the whole thing just came together nicely. Fingers crossed for this one as it has to go on an aeroplane up to Tauranga.
Here's another example of a beautiful cake that the customer has sourced and I have copied. This one is so delicate for a baby. The booties are made of fondant with a real ribbon around them. The back is a grouping of stars on silver wire and just silver wire curled - very effective. This is a beautiful cake and I hope to do more of them.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
This cake has the distinction of being the last wedding cake I am going to make as I find them too stressful. Jenny just wanted a simple buttercream rough-iced two-tier cake with daisies cascading down it and ribbon threaded through the flowers. Sounds easy enough? But wait, there's more! She ALSO wanted four side cakes in different flavours and decorated in a similar manner. So this was a big weekend because I had six cakes (counting the two tiers) to make and decorate, not counting the two birthday cakes and the christening cake I also had to do. Congratulations Jenny and new husband. I hope you had a lovely day.
I love doing these present cakes. They always seem to come out nice. This one was for twins who were turning 10 so I thought they might like something not so childish. Underneath the fondant Matt had a vanilla rainbow cake with white chocolate gnashe icing and Alex had a chocolate cake with chocolate gnashe icing.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
What a week! I had FOUR cakes to do for this weekend and not one of them was straightforward. This is probably the easiest of the lot and what a beauty. I absolutely loved the way it turned out, especially the bow and the little twirly gold ball thingies on the top. The colours are wonderful too. I sprayed the whole cake with a pearl shine just to finish it off, and you can see that a bit on the edges of the bow. Love, love, love. I have a couple of cakes to make for twins next week and I think I might just do a version of this for them.
This cake was a surprise for Sarah. Her mother said she had two loves, her house and her dog. She sent me photos of Sarah's house and I made a cake in a similar design. It is the first time I have tried a house and, all in all, it turned out fairly well. Around the back I have made a little model of Sarah playing with her dog. The thing I love most about this is the little pot plants by the back door.
Samantha showed me a picture of this cake and was adament this was the one she wanted. I really enjoyed making it as I love making 'girly' cakes and they don't come much more 'girly' than this one. It is three tiers with a fondant tiara on top. That was what I had the most trouble with as this one is my third attempt. I rolled out some white fondant, then cut out shapes from it. After it had dried around a glass I painted it silver, dusted it with silver glitter and added some shiny sugar balls. Gorgeous. The whole cake looked just wonderful.
I should probably put a higher price on this cake because of all the work that went into it, but when it comes to the crunch, there isn't a great deal of actual cake in it. The cave is made with an upsidedown Dolly Varden cake tin and the dragon's body is two smallish cakes sculpted and put together with buttercream. I was particularly pleased with the knight. This is the first time I have attempted this design and was extremely pleased with the result.
Saturday, April 2, 2011
Only one cake for this week, thank goodness. Next week it all hits the fan with four cakes, three 2-tier, one 3-tier, which makes nine cakes to bake! How about this one though. Isn't it cute. I was super pleased with the result, especially the giraffe pattern as I hadn't done that before. I iced the cake in a peachy-orange and then painted the brown markings on with food colouring. The little animals were gorgeous too and turned out almost like the picture I had to go by.