Saturday, February 25, 2012
When I was asked to make a tractor cake, the customer sent me a photo of what was obviously a much loved toy to base my cake on. This is the end result. I finished the whole thing off by giving it a light spray of pearl lustre which made the whole thing shine.
Another take on the soccer cake. This time it was to be in the colours of the Chelsea Football Club with a CFC shirt draped over the ball and the birthday boy's name and age on the back. I also had to make a CFC shield which I did out of a combination of royal icing and fondant. Everything on this cake is edible, including the shield.
This is the second time I have made a cake from a moulded cake tin in as many weeks. I am so pleased with the result and this time around it was a lot easier than last weeks Care Bear cake. I covered most of the cake in different coloured buttercream, but the parts like her face, eyes and other bits of skin I did in royal icing which dries smooth. The end result was just what I had been going for.
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Somehow I seem to have created a side-line business of making biscuits. Here is an order I made recently and seem to be remaking about once a month. The vanilla biscuits are covered in vanilla-flavoured fondant rolled very thinly. They are then adored with various embellishments, all completely edible.
Friday, February 17, 2012
So cute! I have done Lily's birthday cake now for three years and it's wonderful to see her growing up from a 1-year-old to a now 3-year-old with her own likes and dislikes. This year she was specific in what sort of cake she wanted - pink - so the top tier of this cake is strawberry flavour. I love the toadstools, and the rabbits, and the little fairy Lily, and the flowers, and the rainbow. Yes, I loved everything about this cake.
The first of three 3-D Thomas engines I have to make over the next few weeks. This one came with a special request - to have a cow catcher on the front. You can't see it properly in the photo, but it came out really well after a bit of trial and error.
Gorgeous! This cake was iced in buttercream with fondant used only for the decorations. With the warm weather we have been having it did make things a bit more difficult, but I think the end result was lovely. I especially like the little bees on curled wire.
My first attempt at making a cake from a moulded cake tin. I am not sure how people usually do this but for me to be able to transfer the image onto the cake I first of all had to cover it in thin fondant and using a pin, transfer the picture onto the fondant. Then I made the outline with fondant and filled in the gaps with buttercream. Completely opposite from how I usually ice cakes. There must be an easier way!
Friday, February 10, 2012
Here is another version of the jungle cake I made just last week, only this time the customer wanted the middle 'giraffe' tier to be in blues instead of orange and brown. I was a bit worried at first but think the finished product looks rather nice.
Lovely nice clean lines for this cake. The cake has a chocolate waterfall down the front and then just coloured "lollies" all around it made out of fondant. The lollipops are also made out of fondant. I covered the hat in navy fondant then brushed it with blue lustre and some purple glitter and it looked great. It was then finished off with a fuschia fondant ribbon around the brim.
I had to make lots and lots of little ballet shoes for this cake, thank goodness I have a mould. The most time-consuming part was attaching all the little ribbons to the shoes. We finally got there and I hope Brooke will be pleased with the end result. I attempted to make the comedy/tragedy masks to decorate the top.
Saturday, February 4, 2012
I did everything that I was asked to do for this cake ... in pinks and mauves. The end result was very girly and beautiful. Only problem was this wasn't the cake the customer meant. She wanted a different design. Oops! Thankfully they were also happy with this cake but I must make sure to understand the type of cake wanted next time.